Agricultural astrology, a type of electional astrology for gardening and for horticulture, advises scheduling the planting, cultivating and harvesting of crops based on moon phases and on astrological signs. Agricultural astrology is often referred to as 'planting by the signs' because of its reliance on astrological signs for planting, cultivating and harvesting.
The Old Farmer's Almanac regularly features a 'planting by the signs' section.
Within the pages of The Old Farmer’s Almanac —in addition to astronomical and meteorological reference material—you’ll find an abundance of traditional astrological information, ranging from the dates of Mercury Retrograde and the monthly Best Days, to Gardening by the Moon’s Sign and the Man of Signs. The Man of Signs. The Old Farmer’s Almanac has a similar history. It was founded in 1792 by Robert B. Thomas who also claims to have produced a secret formula for predicting the weather. His formula relies upon astronomical cycles, solar activity and weather patterns. The actual formula is kept in a black tin box in the Almanac offices in Dublin, New Hampshire. Some Farmers’ Almanac readers are more interested in traditional lore and want to know the astrological position of the Moon. Others are backyard astronomers and are more interested in the astronomical position of the Moon.
The Old Farmer's Almanac is good for laughs, weather forecasts, sunrise/sunset pages, some goofy astrology and oddball advertisements, and so on. It is a little slice of Americana. Not to be taken too seriously, it makes for some fun, light reading as the fall begins to unfold. Matrix Oracles online have the ten most popular divination Oracles, Astrology Reading, Compatibility Reading, The ancient Runes Reading, the Chinese I-Ching Reading, Numerology for your name, birth date, or number, Tarot reading, Fortune Cookie, Yes or No answers, Words of fortune, Words of Wisdom, and Words of Humor, and the Farmer's Almanac.
Dr theja astrologer. Agricultural astrology is one of the oldest forms of astrology. It was probably one of the first use humans made of lunar cycles. Evidence of its practice dates back thousands of years to the ancient peoples of the Nile and Euphrates River valleys. Farmers of these civilizations planted by the Moon's phase and its sign in the zodiac. There is a lack of scientific evidence proving the beneficial effects of astrological gardening. A few studies have been conducted, but 'none of this has been conclusively proven or disproved by modern science'.
Although agricultural astrology is primarily used as a guide for growing crops, it also has been applied to the practice of animal husbandry. For example, agricultural astrology encourages poultry farmers to set up their chicken's eggs to hatch when it is a new moon and in a 'fruitful' sign. It claims that chicks hatched during this time grow faster and produce more offspring.
Moon gardeners maintain that not only is science on their side, but also that the results are plain to see. According to the theory, plants that are sown in the few days before a full moon become stronger and more productive. The moon gardeners claim that the gravitational force of the full moon affects the level of groundwater in the soil, just as it does the level of the oceans. The phases of the moon do not correspond to the distance of the moon's orbit around the Earth, and hence are not indicators of the strength of the moon's gravitational pull. Instead, apogee and perigee of the moon's orbit are what determines the moon's distance to the Earth. Also, the increase in moonlight between the new moon and full moon (waxing phase) are thought to stimulate leaf growth, when the light decreases between the full moon and new moon (waning phase) the plant's energy is then thought to be focused on the roots. Each astrological sign has its own corresponding element (earth, air, fire, water) and the most favorable times for planting above ground leafy crops is said to be when the Moon is in the leaf/water signs (Cancer, Pisces, Scorpio) and the underground root crops when the Moon is in the root/earth signs (Capricorn, Taurus, Virgo).
One of the more notable sources to rely upon this methodology is the annual Farmers' Almanac, which bases its Gardening by the Moon Calendar on the concept of agricultural astrology.
- ^Lewis 2003, p. 11-12
- ^Lewis 2003, p. 13
- ^Oken 2006, p. 16
- ^Llewellyn 2004, p. 83
- ^'Planting by the Moon and Signs, University of Florida'. Archived from the original on 2017-11-12.
- ^Llewellyn 2004, p. 91
- ^Planting by the Moon Tipsplants.com
- ^Waxing-Waning Moon Astrocal.co.uk
- ^Best Planting Days: the Influence of the Astrological Moon Signs gardeningbythemoon.com
Farmers Almanac Horoscope 2021
- Lewis, James (2003). The astrology book: the encyclopedia of heavenly influences. Visible Ink Press. ISBN1-57859-144-9.
- Llewellyn, George (2004). Powerful Planets Astrologically Considered 1931. Kissinger Publishing. ISBN1-4179-8253-5.
- Oken, Alan (2006). Alan Oken's Complete Astrology: The Classic Guide to Modern Astrology. Red Wheel/Weiser. ISBN0-89254-125-3.
- Riotte, Louise (1975). Planetary Planting: Organic Gardening by the Signs of the Zodiac and the Phases of the Moon. Simon and Schuste. ISBN9780671219536.
- Riotte, Louise (1989). Astrological Gardening: The Ancient Wisdom of Successful Planting & Harvesting by the Stars. Garden Way Publishing. ISBN0882665618.
- Jackson, Matt (2015). Moon Gardening: Planting your Biodynamic Garden by the Phases of the Moon. CICO Books. ISBN978-1-782491-88-0.
- Harris, John; Rickards, Jim (2016). Moon Gardening: Ancient and Natural Ways to Grow Healthier, Tastier Food. John Blake Publishing. ISBN978-1-78418-415-5.
Farmers Almanac Horoscope
- Nick Kollerstrom's Gardening and Planting by the Moon (an annual series beginning 1980)
- Marcella Shaffer (2001), Planning & Planting a Moon Garden, Storey Publishing; ISBN1603423524
- Gloria Star (2001), Llewellyn's Moon Sign Book: And Gardening Almanac, Llewellyn Publications; ISBN0738700312
- Lyn Bagnall (2012), Easy Organic Gardening and Moon Planting, Scribe Publications; ISBN1921844787