|Zodiac symbol||Balance Scales|
|Duration (tropical, western)||September 22 – October 23 (2021, UT1)|
Libra (♎︎) is the seventh astrological sign in the Zodiac. It spans 180°–210° celestial longitude. The Sun transits this sign on average between September 23 (September equinox) and October 22. Under the sidereal zodiac, the Sun currently transits the constellation of Libra from approximately October 31 to November 22. The symbol of the scales is based on the Scales of Justice held by Themis, the Greek personification of divine law and custom. She became the inspiration for modern depictions of Lady Justice. The ruling planet of Libra is Venus. Libra is the only zodiac constellation represented by an inanimate object; with the other eleven signs represented by either an animal or mythological character.
Libra is a sign that values peace at all costs and is very fair-minded. People like being around Librans, for in the event of a dispute they will seek a compromise. People born in this time symbolize a 'balance.' They seem always trying mentally to balance things and get an even judgment. Dear Libra, the second step to creativity is putting your thoughts into reality. The planetary alignment today is pushing you to balance this in order to feel as if you are.
Libra is the cardinal modality of the three air signs, the others being Gemini and Aquarius. In astrology, the main connotations of planets under this sign are sociable, rational, and detached when dealing with situations. Libra is symbolized by the scales and is associated with the Roman deity Iustitia. According to the writer Manilius, Roman judges are born under the sign of Libra.[page needed]
The Moon was said to be in Libra when Rome was founded and this was based on the historical passage, which state 'qua condita Roma'. Everything was balanced under this righteous sign. Manilius once said that Libra was the sign 'in which the seasons are balanced'. Both the hours of the day and the hours of the night match each other. Thus why the Romans put so much trust in the 'balanced sign'.Going back to ancient Greek times, Libra the constellation between Virgo and Scorpio used to be ruled over by the constellation of Scorpio. They called the area the Latin word 'chelae', which translated to 'the claws' which can help identify the individual stars that make up the full constellation of Libra, since it was so closely identified with the Scorpion constellation in the sky.
According to tropical astrology, the Sun enters Libra when it reaches the northern autumnal equinox and the southern vernal equinox, occurring around September 22.
Libra adorning one side of the Meridian solar line of Basilica Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri in Rome, built by Francesco Bianchini (1702) Iron in astrology.
Illustration of Libra in a Flemish manuscript from the early 1460s
Libra, or al-Mīzān, depicted in the 14th/15th century Arabic astrological text Book of Wonders
- ^Astronomical Applications Department 2011.
- ^Aaboe, Asger (2001). Episodes From the Early History of Astronomy. New York: Springer Science+Business Media. pp. 19. ISBN9780387951362.
- ^Libra n.d.
- ^Scorpio n.d.
- ^Shapiro 1977.
- ^Atsma c. 2015.
- ^Horoscopes n.d.
- ^Libra Nature 2015.
- ^ abcRidpath n.d.
- ^Team, The GaneshaSpeaks (2017). GEMINI - Your Zodiac Horoscope 2018. Ahmedabad: www.GaneshaSpeaks.com. p. 16.
- ^Horace (2017). Horace: Odes Book II. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 203. ISBN9781107012912.
- ^Goodyear, F. R. D. (2004). The Classical Papers of A. E. Housman, Volume 2. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. p. 871. ISBN0521606969.
- Astronomical Applications Department (2011). Multiyear Computer Interactive Almanac. 2.2.2. Washington DC: US Naval Observatory. Longitude of Sun, apparent geocentric ecliptic of date, interpolated to find time of crossing 0°, 30°..
- Atsma, Aaron J. (c. 2015). 'Themis: Greek Titan goddess of divine-law, custom & prophecy'. Theoi.com. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- 'Horoscopes, Tarot, Psychic Readings'. www.astrology.com. Archived from the original on September 23, 2015. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- 'Libra'. Oxford Dictionaries. n.d. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- 'Libra Nature - Libra Ruling Planet'. www.ganeshaspeaks.com. 2015. Retrieved August 4, 2015.
- Ridpath, Ian (n.d.). 'Star Tales – Libra'. www.ianridpath.com. Retrieved March 8, 2016.
- 'Scorpio'. Oxford Dictionaries. n.d. Retrieved May 2, 2020.
- Shapiro, Lee (1977). 'The real constellations of the zodiac'. International Planetarium Society. Retrieved January 12, 2019.
Libra Zodiacal Characteristics
Basic traits of Libra' character September 23 - October 22
THE Zodiacal Sign of Libra commences on September 21st, but for seven days it does not come into full power until about September 28th. From this date onwards it is in full strength until October 20th and is then for seven days gradually losing power on account of becoming overlapped by the incoming sign Scorpio. This sign of Libra is represented in symbolism as The Balance. The Sun, the ruler of our inner nature, falls in Libra, the exaltation of Saturn. Their love of justice, combined with the need to be fair and even-handed contributes to that characteristic difficulty such people find in making decisions quickly.
These people are rarely lazy. They work hard, and also demand that their partners work just as hard. They have a strong sense of justice and fair play. It is pretty unusual for them to express anger, but when they do it is usually a storm.
They are extremely positive and decisive in all their thoughts and actions. They have great foresight and intuition and are generally seen at their best when acting on first impressions. The fear is usually well controlled so the typical representatives of this sign look calm, collected, and in charge of the situation. Good natured and loving, they enjoy talking to people, yet can also be very attentive listeners.
Libra Horoscope Meaning In English Dictionary
They are often very psychic, have curious presentiments, and would make very devout spiritualists, theosophists, and occultists, and yet so strongly endowed are they with the desire to reason out everything that their love of exact proof usually overwhelms their psychic powers.
Libra Means What
They are often very successful as speculators, but they have little regard for the value of money and have, as a rule, great ups and downs in their careers. Libra is a sign that values peace at all costs and is very fair-minded. People like being around Librans, for in the event of a dispute they will seek a compromise.